In an editorial late Monday, the Minneapolis Star Tribune said Franken’s apology Monday in front of his Senate office fell “lamentably short in several respects.”

On Leeann Tweeden’s accusations that he forced his tongue down her throat during a rehearsal for a USO skit, Franken said he recalls a “normal rehearsal,” but didn’t explain any further.

“On the subsequent allegations of women who say he groped them during photos — specifically, that he grabbed their buttocks — Franken apologized, but for what, exactly?” the paper asked.

“He said he does not recall groping and said he ‘would never intentionally’ squeeze or grope a woman but often hugs people,” the paper said. “Is he suggesting these women could not distinguish between a friendly embrace and groping? Or that at his age he somehow groped unintentionally? Can one credibly apologize for acts without acknowledging that they occurred?”

Franken on Monday claimed he had no memory of sexual assault, yet he apologized and said he would “learn from my mistakes.”

“Under such circumstances, Franken’s apology is less a statement of accountability and more akin to, ‘I’m sorry for what you think I did,'” the Star Tribune said.

“Franken is right — he has much to do to regain Minnesotans’ trust,” the paper said. “It may not be possible.”

“As he continues his reflection, we urge the senator to consider what is best for Minnesota and to weigh that more heavily than what might be best for his political career.”

Franken has so far said he is reflecting on the allegations against him, but has said he wants to return to work in the Senate, and has not given any indication he is considering resigning from his seat.