Soros funded anarchy hits MSP airport. I’m surprised Keith Ellison wasn’t there to fan the flames…

1,000 protest Trump refugee move at Twin Cities airport
By Kristi Belcamino, St. Paul Pioneer Press Today at 8:10 p.m.
MINNEAPOLIS — About 1,000 people showed up at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport on Sunday, the second day of protests at airports around the country after President Trump’s highly controversial refugee ban went into effect.

Protesters crowded an airport sidewalk across the street from the ticketing area, chanting and cheering at cars passing by.

Aidarus Aden of Richfield held a sign that read, “I am a refugee.”

Aden, a naturalized U.S. citizen, grew up in Mogadishu, Somalia.

“I’m lucky,” he said. “I was granted an opportunity to come to the United States when countless others do not get that opportunity. I have a moral obligation to speak for them.”

Some people spend a quarter of a century in refugee camps, Aden said.

“People wait decades for the opportunity to come here to contribute, to learn, to work hard, to pay taxes,” he said. “The most important thing people need to know is that individuals in these countries are seeking refuge to get away from terrorism. Muslims are the number one victims of terrorism. We are turning away those who want to seek refuge.”

Ed Houn of Maplewood said that while he opposes the Trump administration in general, it was the ban on Friday that spurred him to come out Sunday and take action instead of watching from the sidelines.

“I decided it was time to get out and take part and support others,” he said. “It’s got to start somewhere, and this is where I’m starting.”

The scene at the Twin Cities airport has been repeated at airports around the country, and perhaps most notably at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City.

The protests are focused on a Trump executive order that suspends refugee admissions for 120 days and bars all immigration for 90 days from Muslim-majority countries with terrorism concerns: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

It indefinitely bars the processing of refugees from Syria, a country that has been of particular concern to the FBI.

One side effect of the executive order had authorities attempting to deport previously vetted refugees, U.S. green-card holders on trips abroad and others after they had arrived at U.S. airports.

But a federal judge issued an emergency order Saturday night temporarily barring the U.S. from deporting people from nations subject to President Donald Trump’s travel ban, saying travelers who had been detained had a strong argument that their legal rights had been violated. The order caused protesters to erupt into cheers on Saturday.

The Trump administration reversed course on Sunday regarding green-card holders, and said they would be exempted from the travel ban.

The scene at the Twin Cities airport, like a similar one on Saturday, was mostly peaceful. One man was arrested when he sat down on the ground in the street.

About halfway into the two-hour-long protest, people began moving indoors, urged by others chanting, “Our taxes, let’s go inside.”

The group had a permit to protest outside from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., but officers didn’t try to stop them when they moved into the balcony overlooking the Delta check-in area, police said.

Lois Gertz of Bloomington held a sign that read, “We are all immigrants.”

Gertz went to protest at the Women’s March in Washington, as well, saying she believes it is important to “show that there was another way to be American.”

“We didn’t want Trump to have control of the story,” she said.

Tre Tellor’s sign said, “Deportation is Murder.” He said he came out to support his immigrant friends “and just to show that I care.”

Toward the end of the protest, the crowd quieted to listen to one woman speak.

“Thank you on behalf of the Muslim American community,” she said. “When they try to target one community, they are going to go after others. They are going to come after all of us.”

Around 3 p.m., Pat Hogan, spokesman for the Minneapolis Airport Police Department, said people would soon be asked to leave the ticketing area.

“They were supposed to be outside for the protest, but we’ve shown some restraint and will soon ask them to disperse,” he said.

About 3:30 p.m., an officer with a megaphone came out, flanked by five members of the Minnesota State Patrol, and ordered the crowd to disperse.

A few people yelled at the officers and temporarily refused to leave while a handful of people chanted, “Hell no, we won’t go,” but eventually the crowd left peacefully.

During the protest, passersby in the ticketing area had mixed reactions. A few people shook their heads. Others waved and cheered. Others simply stopped to gape or take pictures.

One little boy stopped still, craning his neck to see the protesters on the balcony above. After his mother spoke to him and urged him along, the boy began walking again, still looking up at the crowd looking down at him, holding his fingers up in the peace sign.

Protests on Sunday also sprang up in other parts of the metro, including in Minneapolis outside a community meeting being hosted by Ilhan Omar, a Somali-American recently elected to the Minnesota House.

Leave a Reply