Another reason to plug “old sparky” back into the wall.

Man formally charged with killing NW Wisconsin deputy
By Chris Vetter, Eau Claire Leader-Telegram Today at 3:52 p.m.

Doug S. Nitek (left) and Deputy Dan Glaze
A Rusk County man allegedly told sheriff’s Deputy Dan Glaze on Oct. 25 that he was tired of his contacts with authorities, saying he would shoot the next law enforcement officer who stepped on his property.

Four days later, authorities say, Doug S. Nitek fired multiple shots and killed Glaze, 33, in his squad car on property near Nitek’s trailer home.

That was the scenario laid out Friday, nearly three months after the killing, as Nitek, 44, was formally charged with Glaze’s murder in Rusk County Court. Nitek faces 31 counts, including first-degree intentional homicide, attempted homicide, recklessly endangering safety while armed with a dangerous weapon, criminal damage to property, possession of drug paraphernalia and bail jumping.

Nitek remains in jail and is due in court for an initial appearance on Feb. 7.

The criminal complaint describes the chaotic scene when officers arrived at the scene east of State Highway 27 south of Ladysmith, Wis., with Nitek firing shots at multiple officers before finally being arrested.

Glaze arrived at the scene first at about 11 p.m. Oct. 25 after responding to a call about a suspicious vehicle. He observed a vehicle in a farm field and called for backup.

His squad car was equipped with a dash camera on the front windshield. The recording showed the red truck “driving in front of the squad, making a power slide stop to face directly at the squad.”

The criminal complaint indicates that up to six shots were fired at Glaze. Nitek was approximately 168 yards from the squad car when he used a .25-06 rifle with a scope to shoot the deputy.

Ladysmith police Officer Robert Stolp was the first backup to arrive at the scene, and he located Glaze’s squad car.

“As he was starting to exit his squad, Officer Stolp heard a gunshot,” the criminal complaint states. “Officer Stolp reported that he immediately retreated to his squad and backed out … to await backup.”

Deputy Dave Fenstermacher also arrived at the scene and walked with Stolp toward Glaze’s squad. They reported hearing more shots being fired from the north, in the direction where Nitek’s trailer was located. They retreated again and waited for additional backup.

Barron County brought its armored vehicle to the scene, and officers were finally able to make it to Glaze’s squad car, where they found him dead.

Officers in Eau Claire County’s armored vehicle were able to approach the trailer home. They attempted to use a pole camera inside the trailer, but Nitek fired at that as well.

After that shot was fired, the armored vehicles began to open the side of the trailer in an attempt to determine who was in the trailer and take any occupants into custody. Nitek was observed holding a rifle, the complaint states.

Nitek eventually exited the trailer, got on the ground and was taken into custody. No one else was in the trailer. No one, other than law enforcement officers, were observed on the property that evening.

After Nitek was arrested, his truck was searched, where officers found six shell casings that had an odor from recently having been fired.

Glaze’s squad was examined and “six spots were noted where bullets struck the squad.” One of those bullets shattered the windshield, then proceeded into the vehicle, striking and killing Glaze. Based on the dash cam footage, it was the second shot that killed the deputy.

Nitek was convicted of fifth-offense drunken driving in 2012 and ordered to serve a year in jail, and he was released on bond in a recklessly endangering safety charge out of Sawyer County. He also was convicted of battery in 2003 and fourth-degree sexual assault in 1992.

More than 1,000 people attended Glaze’s funeral in Cameron, Wis., in November, where family, friends and colleagues remembered the 33-year-old officer for his humor, love of family and dedication to law enforcement.

Glaze had worked for the Rusk County sheriff’s office for 1½ years. He had previously worked for the Hayward Police Department. He is survived by his wife, Sarah, along with three children.

Leave a Reply